I have meetings set up with many of my coworkers this week to talk about the two programs we're seeking funding for: KidsKup and Wellness Rides. When I mentioned it to different people in the office last week, they were all very excited to talk brainstorm and "dream big" about these projects. As a result of our meetings and looking over the grant application, I'll put together a list of questions for our ED and office manager for when we meet next week.
I'm also going to read over some of our previous grants in the next couple of days, just to get the feel for our tone and possibly come up with more questions for the ED.
In the meantime, I can write the "Description of the organization, including Mission and most recent accomplishments" section of the New Belgium grant pretty much on my own, so here's a draft of that.
***
BikeTexas is the statewide bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organization in Texas, based in Austin. Our mission is to advance bicycle and pedestrian access, safety, and education in Texas. We envision a future in which bicycling and walking are accepted as everyday, mainstream activities in Texas.
In its 22 years, BikeTexas has built relationships with other advocacy groups across Texas, with local leaders in major Texas cities, and with many of our state legislators and members of Congress. BikeTexas was instrumental in the Matthew Brown act becoming law in 2001, which launched a statewide Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program and was a model for the nationwide STRS, which Congress established in 2005. Through the SRTS education arm, BikeTexas has trained nearly 4000 Texas teachers and other youth workers to teach the SafeCyclist curriculum in their PE classes, community centers, Boys and Girls Clubs, and wherever children and bicycles gather. Since 1999, over two million Texas schoolchildren have learned bike and pedestrian safety from the SafeCyclist curriculum.
BikeTexas has lobbied for a statewide Safe Passing law for several legislative sessions, and while that law has yet to be enacted, fourteen Texas cities have instituted Safe Passing Ordinances using the language developed by BikeTexas. Four Texas cities have been recognized as Bike Friendly Communities by the League of American Bicycles, and in 2012, the League honored BikeTexas as the Advocacy Organization of the Year. Also in 2012, the NAACP recognized BikeTexas for its work to increase diversity in bicycling.
***
Su, this is an excellent description of BikeTexas. The description of the organization's activities and connections with other advocacy groups should be very persuasive in encouraging foundations to form a partnership through funding. At least one of my grant applications limits my mission statement to 100 words. Does either of yours impose a limit?
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time to do grant writing. My client has some well formulated statements, but I keep thinking about plagiarism in academic writing. I realize that in this case I am trying to convey my client's voice, yet it feels awkward to pick up significant sections. Are you writing a completely new mission statement for BikeTexas?
ReplyDeleteThis sentence: "Our mission is to advance bicycle and pedestrian access, safety, and education in Texas," is our official mission statement. The rest is me putting together our various stuff we've done. There's no word limit on this section.
ReplyDeleteIt's taken me a while to get into the BikeTexas voice, although at this point since I do all our writing, I practically am our voice. :)
How did these meetings go? Talking about the research, too, covering the benefits of bicycling AFTER the law went into place, and over time, might be helpful...
ReplyDeleteSu - I think the description here, statement and the accomplishments, are well stated. You've evidently done a great job getting into the organization's voice.
ReplyDelete