Thursday, April 14, 2011

Project Proposal

Edited to write:

After I got started on my project, it definitely went a different direction than I originally anticipated. Plus, it turned out that both Komen and Livestrong had more than enough material by themselves to fill a project, so I chose to focus on only Komen. Here's the project I actually ended up doing:

I will analyze Komen for the Cure and their use of emotion on their website and at a Race for the Cure event. I will focus on how each of those tactics is discussed/explained in our readings for the semester.
I'll also look at the Komen trademarks: Pink, the running ribbon, and "for the Cure" as to how those each had emotion tied into them and the kinds of emotions they evoke in those who see them now.
I'll discuss the spread of Komen's message and influence: It began as a grassroots organization 30 years ago and now is a worldwide institution that opened the door for other charities to raise money in the same way.
I'll also explore ways in which Komen's rhetoric doesn't work for people.

=================================================
For my final project, I will apply Edbauer's concepts of rhetorical ecologies and apply them to charity campaigns. Specifically, I'll look at the Komen Foundation and Livestrong, and how their awareness campaigns have changed the way charities in the US do business.

For example:
Komen has taken pink as its signature colour, so that "Think Pink" is now a synonymous term with breast cancer awareness.
Livestrong has likewise taken yellow, giving rise to the "Yellow Mile" at the Austin Marathon and other events.
Other charities that have followed their lead, less successfully: ADA (red), Colin's Hope (blue)

Komen's signature event is their 5K series. They weren't the first running charity, nor the last, but they've been highly successful with equating running with fundraising for charity.
Livestrong's signature thing is the yellow bracelets, which has spawned an entire industry devoted to rubber bracelets for charity.
Other charities that have followed their lead: 26.2 for Donna, just about every charity out there

I will further consider what it is about these charities that brings them so much attention-- what pathetic appeals they use, how it works on their audience, and how it doesn't work. I've been to Komen and Livestrong events, so I'll also talk about the affect at work at those events. Specifically, a friend ran the Austin Half-Marathon this year only a few months after his sister lost her fight with cancer, and he shared his thoughts about what the Yellow Mile meant to him, so I will probably include some discussion not only of how he was affected, but also how I was affected when he told us about it.

A side note that I may/may not discuss (depending on whether it really relates to our study, once I have a closer look at it): Komen & Livestrong provide an outlet for people to give of money & time and feel like they are making a difference in the fight against cancer. While I don't dispute that they are helping, I do wonder if massive charities like these lead to complacency as much as activism.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good, Su. You're good to go. Just a few things to remember as you go: First, I would encourage you to draw from a few more of the semester's sources than Edbauer-Rice. Second, don't forget that the project must also include visual (or aural) and verbal rhetoric--what will your visuals be? And how will they function in the piece? You're on, but do make sure you address these things in the project.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!