In Chapter 3, Jenkins explores the knowledge communities in a different direction; before, he was focused on viewers who tried to get their hands on information that was still a secret, but now he has moved on to a different kind of community centered around The Matrix. Participants in these communities already have all the information, but don't know it yet. Jenkins says, "The Wachowskis were... implying there was more, much more, to be found if the community put its collective mind to work" (102). Unlike Mark Burnett, who wanted to keep his audience in the dark, the Wachowskis wanted the fans to find all the clues they had left.
I'll mention the personal context under which I read this chapter: I am not really a Matrix fan. But I'm married to someone who is much more into it that I-- he participated in some of the online communities, and went back for a second viewing with some like-minded friends (i.e., without me) for all three films. In a way, we had a different sort of knowledge community in our home-- Chad the engaged fan was continually sharing with me, the fringe viewer, the stuff he saw online. For instance, he made sure that I watched Final Flight of the Osiris, but when we saw The Matrix Reloaded I didn't catch the reference; Chad had to point it out to me afterwards in a dumbed-down-for-the-non-fan style: "Remember, I showed you the video? They were talking about it at the beginning." But once he clarified it, I finally understood where the video fit and why he had insisted on me watching it in the first place. Even after that, I still didn't realize that the storyline was intentionally spread out across multiple media, so it was fascinating for me to see it spelled out in this chapter.
So the story of The Matrix was set up in order that "to truly appreciate what we are watching, we have to do our homework" (96), which rewards the serious fan and adds to the experience. And clearly, The Matrix has a large following who did play the games, watch the online episodes, and engage in communities to try to put all the puzzle pieces together. Jenkins notes that "viewers get even more out of the experience if they compare notes and share resources than if they try to go it alone" (97). In a way, you might say they've done the movie-going culture a favor, because instead of a fan watching alone, "they encourage various forms of participation and social interaction between consumers" (112). The Matrix became a tool for bringing people together. C.S. Lewis said, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You too? I thought I was the only one,'" and there's no reason to think that taking the connection online makes it less of a friendship.
Jenkins also quotes Young, who "worried that the Wachowski brothers may have narrowed their audience by making too many demands on them" (130). Certainly, it seems that those who are willing to go the distance to get the whole story are very much a niche audience, which begs the question: Could (and/or should) the transmedia model be duplicated? At face value it sounds ideal for the sci-fi/fantasy crowd, who already have their communities and conventions. Should Star Trek reward its devoted fans, for instance, by making their next movie into a transmedia experience? You can't throw a figurative rock online without hitting a Trekkie (or maybe that's just the circles I run in); would this be a valuable experiment for that franchise to try next?
It seems a bit premature, with the "transmedia storytelling" (97) still in its infancy, to make a judgement call on whether this is where entertainment will ultimately go. Jenkins points out that "sometimes, we simply want to watch" (134). I don't see traditional entertainment going away altogether; even the most devoted fan needs a chance to veg. But if the transmedia route does pan out, this will be a shining example of Jenkins' convergence; a new media is born from an old media, but the old media is still around and serving its purpose.
Source: C.S. Lewis Quotes. Think Exist. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2011.
Jenkins, Henry. Convergence Culture. New York: New York U, 2006. Print.
I agree with your point about transmedia storytelling being well suited for the sci-fi/fantasy crowds because it seems to me that these genres have the most room for story expansion. I mean, how much transmedia storytelling can you really do with something like Hitch or Sleepless in Seattle? Jenkins mentions a tension that producers of entertainment must settle between general audiences and the more niche hardcore fans. I agree with you that transmedia storytelling is here to stay, but I think that it will be restricted to children's media and the sci-fi/fantasy genres.
ReplyDeleteI agree-- at least for the foreseeable future (because who knows where we will be in 30 years?). The more linear storylines that you mention don't leave a lot of room for exploration or world-building outside the theater.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your approach towards transmedia films. It seems that the sci-fi/ fantasy genre has been playing with transmedia storytelling for sometime now and has had a fair amount of success. Probably in part due to the conventions and online communities you mentioned they already have established.
ReplyDeleteIt seems difficult to see how transmedia films cold be created for romanic comedies or comedies (because there may be such a thing as to much Will Ferral or Zach Galifianakis), but maybe the transmedia approach would be successful with suspense or thriller genres.
For now, it seems that Jenkins may have to settle with a transmedia limbo of sorts when it comes to the film industry.
I hadn't thought about the thriller/suspense movies, but you make a good point! Those would lend themselves to the world-building aspect which seems central to transmedia storytelling.
ReplyDeleteI suppose the comedic film's approach could be putting extra scenes on the internet-- not central to the plot, but available for those who want more. Kind of like deleted scenes, but filmed on purpose just for the devoted viewer.
Hey Su! My boyfriend is also a huge fan of The Matrix, and like you, I am not a huge fan. He seems to think that I would enjoy the movie more if I did my homework and followed along with the "transmedia" story that The Matrix producers were trying to tell. This is where I wondered if the transmedia model could be duplicated.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading Chapter 3, I am convinced it will be the model that the "new Hollywood" will uphold. We can see the start of this transmedia model taking shape with Survivor, The Blair Witch Project, True Blood and The Matrix. I think this model will definitely continue to grow due to the fact that it seems that movie producers and tv show producers can make more money through the transmedia model (by media franchising through books, websites, games, etc).
Yes, I definitely think they will go the direction that gets them the most money!
ReplyDeleteI'd be interested to see how the Star Trek fan community would react to transmedia tactics. Something tells me there would be some disapproval. I'm not a big fan myself, but all the Star Trek movies and TV episodes I've seen tend to be fairly linear and self-contained in their storytelling. The latest movie created the potential for a sprawling arc what with the whole time travel thing, and I do think that if J. J. Abrams were to head down the transmedia route it would bring in a lot of younger fans who maybe haven't been introduced to the older material. But I'm sure there are lots of fans out there who would feel like the producers were sacrificing the old show's interest in tackling ethical dilemmas for a less comprehensible plot. But maybe there's a way to combine the two...?
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comment that sometimes "even the most devoted fan needs to veg." It seems like more effort than anyone could ever put in to following a franchise to have every single part of it involve transmedia storytelling. I think it's definitely necessary to keep old media around, because at some point fans are just going to give up following a storyline that involves them making so much effort.
ReplyDelete