Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cycling and Twitter

Something about Twitter that I haven't touched on much is how some groups use it for activism. I follow a handful of charities and a few advocacy organizations, and the reason I haven't mentioned them much is because they don't use Twitter much. It's possible that I'm following the wrong groups and that other organizations are making much better use of their Twitter accounts than the ones I'm following. Or, perhaps they are too all busy doing their advocacy/charity work to bother much with Twitter, a luxury that I think has probably already passed them by.

Bike Texas' profile page and most
recent tweets.
One organization that I both follow and volunteer for is Bike Texas. They tweet mostly about events or if a crucial vote is coming up, when it's a good time for cyclists to contact their legislators to ask for cycling-friendly votes. Bike Texas may not tweet a lot, but they are extremely well-connected; one tweet from them gets retweeted by cycling organizations all over Austin. And by cyclists, of course-- I retweet them a lot, not only because I work for them (although that is part of it), but also because they do save their tweets for important things.

An funny thing happened back a few weeks ago: We were working on our projects during class time, so I was logged onto Twitter when Bike Texas tweeted about the grand opening of San Antonio's bikeshare program. I clicked the link and saw that the map was messed up; anyone trying to follow it would have been hopelessly confused! So, I emailed a coworker right away about the issue, and as far as I know they corrected it. That never would have happened if not for this project, so that was a nice side outcome of the class.

Recent tweets from Austin On
Two Wheels. In case you're
wondering, yes, I am the Susan
Wilcox mentioned in the second
tweet. ;)
Another Austin cycling organization that I follow is Austin On Two Wheels. They aren't an advocacy group so much as an online magazine for cyclists in Austin, and they are much more active on Twitter than Bike Texas (including being one of the organizations that retweets anything that Bike Texas tweets). However, as an online magazine, they do advocacy in their own way, by hosting events and keeping Austinites aware of cycling issues. Plus, the editor of Austin On Two Wheels is one of the few cyclists who is willing to go onto online forums and engage with complaining motorists, fielding their complaints and making points of his own. Most cyclists would rather put that energy into cycling rather than bothering with online forums, so in that way, Austin On Two Wheels is standing up for all of us.

Thanks, guys! This has been a fun semester! I was really nervous about this class at the beginning, but you guys have never made me feel too old to get what you were talking about. :) Have a great summer!

5 comments:

  1. Grassroots activism certainly got a massive shot in the arm with social networking, I have to agree. I'm friends with a lot of people important to causes I support on Facebook, and I love the fact that if they need help, I will find out almost instantly and can have a list of ways to help a few minutes after that, which beats the hell out of having to attend weekly meetings. Gotta love the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Yeah, I'm not a fan of meetings. If there's no other reason to love the internet, then that's a pretty darn good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a good point, Su. I get all sorts of news from Twitter (House is about to vote on the budget, President's about to give an "important address," etc.) but I think the implications for activism are maybe as important. I'm the leader of a campus political group, and I use our Twitter page to announce upcoming (the horror!) meetings. I also talk about our position on things or note something about our members. Like Bike Texas, tweets from that account are pretty rare and are often retweeted. I think that as Twitter becomes even more common, the implications of being able to use it for activism and the chance to get retweeted to spread the word will be even more of a motivation for activists and organizations to use the site.

    I like that you instantly edited and corrected a problem like that! Sometimes catching mistakes online can be useful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I don't know how many people were going to the Bikeshare thing just based on Bike Texas' map, but it still didn't look good to have that on our tweet. I would have just fixed it myself, except they haven't given me editing power on the website yet. I don't think I'm trustworthy enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twitter is so weird. I use it to get news from record labels and bands that I'm interested in. And to make fun of my friends who tweet while drunk. I haven't seen to many activism Twitter accounts, but I'm surprised that they exist. Sometimes this activism is subverted by weird humor. For instance, have you seen Feminist Hulk? It's really funny. Here's the link:

    http://twitter.com/#!/feministhulk

    The writer uses Hulk-like lanugage (in all caps, mind you) to--I suppose--educate others about feminism. But I think Feminist Hulk is really an inside joke for other feminists. The writer makes references to certain feminists theorists that would only be known to those to actively study feminism. Sometimes, I'll get the joke. At times, the information seems a bit arcane to me, but the writing style is so preposterous, it's hard not to laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk!